GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Provide optometric externs with the quality and quantity of clinical experiences necessary to develop professional competence to diagnose, treat, and manage eye and vision disorders.
During the clinical externship rotation, you will experience:
- A wide variety of local and systemic conditions affecting ocular health and vision
- Direct interaction with specialists (retina, glaucoma, and cataract) on a monthly basis
Optometry externs assigned to either Hu Hu Kam Memorial Hospital or Komatke Health Center Externship Program rotations must:
- Be enrolled in an ACOE-accredited program
- Come from school(s) or college(s) of optometry with an affiliation agreement with Gila River Health Care.
- Complete a background check and have updated immunizations
The mission of our externship program is to provide optometric students with a challenging and diverse experience in a hospital based setting. Development of independent and critical thinking in areas of primary eye care and ocular disease is the focus of our program, utilizing multidisciplinary care.
EXTERN PROGRAM CONTACT:
Dean Fasciani, OD, FAAO
Student Externship Program Coordinator
Hu Hu Kam Memorial Hospital Eye Clinic
PO Box 38
Sacaton, AZ 85147
602.271.7960 Ext 7319